Saturday, July 21, 2018

Phonenix

In less than 24 hours Todd, Kourtney and I will be boarding an airplane to Phoenix for a DEBRA (dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa research association) of America conference. Yes, it will be hot and no, Kourtney can’t handle the heat. However, since it is an EB conference, the planners take the heat intolerance into consideration.  All events will take place in a conference centre; no outdoor activities and a full 3 days of speakers, food and entertainment. Summers in Arizona are a lot like a prairie winter. These places are designed to hold conferences inside. We are thankful for the opportunity as DEBRA Canada has sponsored us to go. 
However, our hearts are heavy.  That's why I am reaching out to anyone reading the blog.  WE need lots of prayer coverage as we just got the results that Kourtney's amputated arm has cancer again.  Just when we had reached the new normal we were aghast to see the familiar signs. It broke my heart as  Kourtney had known about it for a while before she showed it to me. She knows that when she tells me it will make it real and then we have to face what lies ahead.We were so discouraged. We had so many hopes for a summer free of Doctors appointments and gruelling waits for pathology results.  We had also hoped to avoid the incredible fear of seeing Kourtney suffer.  We had so many plans and though we are still going through with them, there is a cloud over our heads that has reappeared.

As always Dr. C’s office is so accommodating. I called Monday and they had an appointment for Kourtney on Wednesday, my birthday. Over the past few years I  plan the day of my birthday. This way I have no expectations and it takes the pressure off of my family.  My plan includes my family, spa appointments and being with friends. This year was no exception, but those plans were put on hold because family always comes first (I have to be careful here because Kourtney feels bad that this appointment took place on my birthday) Kourtney and I face things together and in complete honesty 
being there for Kourtney was a birthday well spent.  I believe that I was born to be a mama bear, a caretaker and to champion people no matter what they are facing.  That’s who I am. (by the way I did have a "me day" after) The icing on the cake was Kourtney asking for the birthday girl to hold her hand when Dr. C decided to remove the growth in his office.

I am beginning to read Dr. C's facial expressions and so far all of the them have been accurate. This time there wasn’t worry on his face.  More of an "aha ".  When he amputated  her hand he cut the margins close. So he called this a  “local" reoccurrence. We did not have to wait for the pathology reports; he knew it was cancer, but the pathology reports would determine the next move. Yesterday we got the results. At this point he cleared the margins but barely so we watch and wait. 

We always leave his office feeling like a load is lifted. He knows so much and has seen it all before. Although we were all too tired to do anything after, my heart was full as the people I love the most were with me. Todd, Shae and Marijke. So thankful for these wonderful people.

As we go to this conference we are praying that Kourtney finds Hope, companionship and a renewed courage to keep going. We don’t want this recent diagnosis to overshadow the good that can come out of this conference.There will be opportunities for Kourtney to interact with other adults with EB  and gather information on the newest treatments for her type of cancer. Todd and I are looking forward to being with Kourtney and hopefully encourage and give HOPE to other children and their families.

Shaelyn made the decision not to come with us (just in case you were wondering). She will be busy with VBS in Mission and looking after the pets. We completely trust her and know she will be ok here. This gives Todd and I the rare opportunity to have 1:1 time with Kourtney. We will give you updates as the conference proceeds.



No comments: