Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Surgery

THE SURGERY

Kourtney had a balloon dilatation done on her esophagus. It is done under radiology. She had a contrast dye put into her esophagus and then under x ray a catheter was passed from her mouth into her esophagus. On the catheter there is a balloon that is injected with air. When they see the narrowing they fill the catheter up with air and it creates an opening where the narrowing is. The radiologist said the narrowing was quite small which made it easy to get but significant enough to cause the problems she was having.

This is done under a general anesthetic. She had quite a long wait in the waiting room before the surgery, so when it was time for her to go she was completely frightened. When they were going to put the mask on to gas her she freaked out like I had never seen her do. I had to hold her and they managed to knock her out with the gas. I ran back to her room in tears and ready to cry my heart out in the room when I ran into a girl who I met in the hallway the day before. She said she had been praying for us and gave me a hug. Her son was in the hospital being investigated for seizures. We really felt that we were led to each other in the hospital and so thankful she was there when I was ready to lose it.

Meanwhile while all this is happening our realtor was putting an offer on the house with the swimming pool. The offer got accepted!! We will know next week if we get it as it was subject to the owners of the house finding a place by Sunday. Pray that this time it will go through.

Now we are home. Kourtney is in quite a lot of pain and irritable. (do you blame her?) She can swallow better now and noticed a instant difference after the surgery. My head is spinning as there has been so much happening in the last week and now it is time to process it.

We also saw many different doctors in the hospital and feel the 6 nights we stayed in there were worthwhile and necessary.

In the hospital I had a lot of thinking to do. I will never understand the hand of God, The fact that God has entrusted Kourtney to Todd and I is overwhelming. Everyone she met in the hospital was amazed at her happy little personality and brave little spirit. I can't help feel honored that this fragile-bodied girl is ours and how she impacts so many lives. It is sometimes very easy to lose perspective especially after sleepless nights of watching a child in pain. But being through this last ordeal has made me aware once again of the sovereignty of God.

Thank- you so much for standing behind us as our army in prayer.

Love,

Janelle

No comments: