Thursday, January 5, 2006

January Update 2006

Since I emailed you last things have gotten back to normal. Unfortunately though Kourtney has not been sleeping well over the holidays. So . . . once again we are feeling sleep deprived.

On Monday night Todd and decided to medicate Kourtney so that we could all have a good night sleep. The first dose did nothing and Kourtney had a difficult time going to sleep. The second dose had an adverse reaction and made her restless through the night. We had to be up early for a 0930 appointment in Vancouver to see the plastic surgeon. I was so tired and frustrated as, in her restless sleep, Kourtney made a lot of new blisters. I was rather short with Kourtney in the morning and Kourtney was edgy also.

On the way there she was quiet and rested with Larissa (our nurse) at her side. There were little or no traffic problems, so the anticipated 1
1/2 hour trip took only 1 hour and 5 minutes.

We saw the plastic surgeon and he was quite pleased with the outcome of the surgery. Kourtney said little during the visit. I inquired about scheduling a surgery for 2006 just because the wait list is so long. The plastic surgeon asked Kourtney, " When do you want your surgery?" Kourtney responded, "In 500 years." We went on to talk about other things. When the surgeon was leaving he asked Kourtney, "Do you have anything else to say?" Kourtney said, "No." But then she stopped, looked at me, and said, "Maybe I do. Could you schedule a head transplant for my mom?" I was so lucky I had been to the bathroom because I probably would have dribbled I was laughing so hard. I could not believe the wit and eloquence that came with it all at the same time. The surgeon told Kourtney that he would have to send me to Paris for that.

I share that story because for all the tragedy Kourtney has endured, her delightful personality comes out so often. Her teachers say that she picks up the humour, that most other children don't understand. The surgeon said that the EB gene is next to the exceptional character gene and he has always impressed with the quality of character of people with EB. I am alway amazed by her happy disposition and how she likes to socialize.

Thanks for your many words of encouragement and support. We feel comforted to know we have a team behind us in prayer.

Janelle

No comments: