Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dressing Change

Today, Todd, Kourtney, Mona and I went into Children's for a dressing change. Todd asked me to come along just as a "consultant" to view Kourtney's skin. I stayed out of the tub room while Kourtney was having her bath and came in while the dressings were being put on. All I can say . . . it was pure chaos in the tub room. I had a very pale, rattled husband and a sweaty, tearful, shaky daughter. There were at least 7 people in the hot humid room including 2 men who were trying to fix the broken hydraulics on the bath tub while Kourtney was in it. It couldn't be quickly fixed so Kourtney couldn't be fully immersed and her bandages could not be soaked off in the usual manner. This caused her a lot more pain than usual.

To make a long story short....Todd was so pale he was encouraged to get some fresh air. Mona ended up taking charge in the room and directed the nurses during Kourtney's dressing change. Kourtney needed me just to be her mom so I stayed with her. I was totally hands off. Wow did it feel good! Although there were different nurses today, they were familiar with Kourtney and did an excellent job. Todd and I were relieved to find out that they will be around next week to do the dressings.

Kourtney's skin is still infected with the MRSA. While we are away she will be put on another round of antibiotics, and when we get back we will start using the honey dressings again. We will also continue with weekly dressing changes at Children's Hospital after we get back so the nurses can start getting comfortable looking after her. Wow . . . I cannot believe that it is actually happening. 3 more sleeps until Mexico and then . . . 7 days alone with my husband.

Dave and Bev (my in laws) will be looking after Shaelyn during our time away. Mona and Lorraine will be taking care of Kourtney. Please pray for them also.

Todd here. I often co-write/edit the blog with Janelle, so this is me. Tonight, as Janelle was getting Kourtney ready for bed the two of them were laughing their heads off. I don't know what they were laughing at (probably me, or boys), but I didn't need to know. They were just having fun together. I have seen first hand the change in their relationship as Janelle is free to see Kourtney for the beautiful girl she is. Tonight Shaelyn has decided to spend the night on Kourntey's floor. She made a little bed for herself consisting of a bunch of blankets . . . very cute. Shaelyn is also enjoying spending more time with Janelle, especially while I am doing Kourtney's baths and dressing changes in the evenings. I am taking some time off work, maybe until spring break, to get some new routines established around home that will make things operate more smoothly. The Kujawas are definitely moving forward and are becoming a stronger family through it all.

4 comments:

Coco said...

I could cry... tears of joy!! Thanks for sharing.

Adrienne said...

All I can say is wow!! You guys are an amazing team!! Praying for you on your trip and for your girls!!
HOLA!!

Anonymous said...

SOOO glad to hear things are better. Enjoy your trip!!

Sherry Knoppers

Lori Bourne said...

Have a great trip!

Love,
Lori