Monday, June 8, 2009

BIG FEET=Small feat

These last few weeks we have been stuffing Kourtney's feet into her old runners. Buying shoes for Kourtney is not an easy shopping outing for us. If there is one thing that I grieve is that she is unable to wear sandals, flip flops or really pretty shoes. It is interesting how this aspect bothers me. We have to buy shoes that are generally very expensive and name brand like NIKE, Sketchers and Airwalks.

Our last shoe shopping spree was successful at Payless. I found out that at Payless you actually pay more if there isn't a bogo sale. But if I wait for the sales, there are no name brand shoes to be found (I think they hide them until the sale is over. Last week I went to Payless during the bogo and looked for shoes and there were no shoes her size that would work. I had a grieving moment over the cute flip flops but sucked it up and attempted to go through my mental thankful list....!!

The other very difficult part about buying shoes for Kourtney is she has tiny feet. She was a size 13 forever and of course this limits the "cool shoes" without Dora or Princess's on them.

This weekend Todd and I knew that Kourtney needed new shoes because her old ones were very smelly. Despite washing them and Febreezing them, the smell did not go away . . . so today I made it my mission to buy some new running shoes for Kourtney. I went to my one "constant" store,The Shoe Company, and instantly found some cute, trendy shoes. I bought 2 pairs both a size 2, I texted Kourtney at school and told her I would bring them to try them on. She phoned me back and told me that she would appreciate it if I did not text her during class because it was disruptive to the class. (oops silly me). I took them into her and she tried them on . . . and they did not fit . . . she needed a size 3. I had to go back to the store and trade them in for a bigger size. This made Kourtney so happy because now officially her feet are bigger than Shaelyn's.

I share this because it is the small feats in life that can bring so much joy and satisfaction to Kourtney (most women are happy to have small feet). Kourtney's reality and my reality as a mom are so different from so many other children. We seem to have developed an appreciation for the small things in life. Every milestone Kourtney has achieved has not been easy but we rejoice that she can acheive them. We don't worry about what kind of grades she gets we are just happy she gets to school. We don't scold her for wanting to stay up late to watch her favourite TV show we are thankful she has enough energy to stay up. We are thankful when she calls us in the middle of the night to put a blanket on her, we are relieved she isn't puking or having pain. It is the small feats in life that are the big feats for us. It is a refreshing way to live and important reminder that we need to be thankful for everything.

4 comments:

Ang said...

Thank you for bringing perspective into my life as you share yours. Shoe shopping is one of my least favorite things to do and it's always nice when you find what you need!
Blessings, Angela

Bree said...

I saw your shoes at school Kourt. They were really cute! God bless!

Love Bree

Flo said...

So true :) ... and so thankful that you found some shoes for Kourtney. Yipppeeeee for growing feet.

Coco said...

Truly a great perspective for ALL of us! Thanks for that!