Saturday, October 10, 2009

We will take what we have....

Yesterday Kourtney and I went to Children's hospital for a few appointments. We have now been discharged from seeing the pshychologist since we have now "slayed the bath dragon" and the post traumatic stress disorder is now been worked through and processed.

Kourtney received another iron infusion yesterday. We were somewhat in shock when we found out that her hemoglobin still remains low. Unfortunately the iron still has not been mobilized from the bone marrow to create stores of iron which are needed for red cell production. The hematologist is now going to talk to the big guys down in the USA about possible treatments for her anemia. He doesn't know if Kourtney needs more iron or more EPO . . . anyways, I still feel my daughter is back, happier, healthier, and full of life. She is loving voice lessons, using her wheelchair less at school, doing well in all subjects at school and is crying less during her bath. I am so glad that I don't have to worry about desperately trying to find possible solutions to her anemia issues. Is it not a little strange that these "bone marrow" issues keep popping up? I still have a feeling that a bone marrow transplant will be in the works in the years to come.

We have now officially started our kitchen demolition . . . yay! I still have a fridge and dishwasher for a couple of days, then it will be hotplates, barbecues and frying pans. The existing floor plan is gone. This kitchen will be nice and user friendly!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. We will be celebrating our Candadian Thanksgiving with our international relatives all the way down in Bellingham, Washington. It will be a better one than last year. Life is good around here. We will continue to keep you updated.

2 comments:

Lori Bourne said...

Reading your blog for the past year has given me just a taste of what your life is like, Janelle, and I can't believe the grace with which you handle all the ups and downs of Kourtney's condition. Amazing.

Post pics of your new kitchen when it's done! We just moved and I looooove my huge, beautiful kitchen after 10 years of a tiny one.

Ellie said...

I'm so glad to hear that Kourtney is feeling so well. As Lori just said, we need to see some pictures of the kitchen progress. I can't wait to see what you do with it.