Saturday, June 5, 2010

What I learned from Grade 7 camp

On Friday, Kourtney and I returned from a 3 day camp with her grade 7 class.

I learned that rubber boots with shorts is cool, so are braids held with bobby pins, that black eyeliner is a must have (if you are allowed to put on that stuff) aeropostale, american eagle and hollister were the brand names that appeared the most, and that orthodontists must be making a lot of money these days.

I didn't have to be watching skits to see drama unfold; drama was in the cabins, on the mountain, in the dining hall, drama, drama, drama. I came to the conclusion that apples don't fall from the tree (kids are a replica of their parents), bullies are really not rotten, they're just hurting. I saw the transformation of sweet girls into hard, angry girls over life's circumstances. I saw that a grade 7's can be kind and mean all in the same sentence. What I saw was children caught up in a surge of hormones and their minds not able to deal with their changing bodies.

I saw my Kourtney be part of the quirky age group of children. I loved hearing her giggle way past light outs (to the point that our cabin kept others up), I saw her dancing with her friends and noted last year she didn't even walk, I saw her do what she does best . . . interact with people and get involved in the drama. My Kourtney was at camp - need I say more?

Although the camp ended with a bump in the road, I won't get into it to preserve the integrity of everyone involved. I have to say that Grade 7 camp was a success for Kourtney and I.

I have to give a honourable mention to Tammy as I realize how she has been able to socialize Kourtney with a variety of friends. She is amazing and I can honestly say that I don't ever worry about Kourtney at school because Tammy is around. Thanks for being there for her!

3 comments:

TS said...

Thanks!! But can you take the picture off!! You did not do a good job focusing on your subject. LOL

Mona said...

OMG Kourtney is on a swing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy to see her on that thing, Yippeeeee!!

TS said...

Are you able to post Kourtney singing Your hands? I would love to hear it. PLEASE!!