Friday, May 28, 2010

The GOOD, The Bad, and The Ugly

The GOOD.

Kourtney's surgery is booked for June 23rd. All of our summer plans were hinged to this date so we have now have firmed up our plans for the month of July. My mom is coming out for the surgery, and we are looking forward to the visit. We will be having year end school parties and skipping parties. I am also being camp nurse at Stillwood for 2 weeks and we're taking a trip to Saskatchewan during the month of July. I will even be turning 40 and have put in my request for how we are going to celebrate. We are hoping the sun starts shining so we can officially open our pool soon. Kourtney has also written up a contract about her exercise plan for the summer including 3 visits to the gym each week (to think last year she would not even walk around the yard, now there have been sightings of Kourtney running around the track).

The BAD.

Last week Kourtney was at the Physio and although there has been an overall improvement in Kourtney's strength, her hips are still are a huge concern. Kourtney has developed some overall bad habits when it comes to her posture and like any normal person, she doesn't like to be corrected . Although she can correct her posture, she still does not have the stamina to remain in the posture. So we will now have to go see an orthopedic surgeon. They want to try some noninvasive procedures like botox to attempt straighten her out. Hi ho. Hi ho. It's off to Children's we go . . . and go . . . and go . . . and go.

The UGLY.

On Wednesday, Kourtney went to voice lessons and was so excited to share her song with us (which actually should be included in the good section), and out of the blue she started to choke again. She kept saying there was something in her esophagus. I felt it was more of a reflux issue so I gave her meds to attempt to relax her esophagus but nothing seemed to work. After about 5 hours her esophagus opened up and she was able to swallow again. Thursday morning it happened again, but it lasted all day. I had already had booked a spa appointment (I had had a gift certificate for 2 years). I didn't want to cancel, plus I had to give myself time to think what I was going to do to help her. I had done all my usual tricks but nothing was working. After my spa treatment my cell phone was full of messages that Kourtney was still unable to swallow and was terribly uncomfortable. So with the parrafin barely off my feet, my hands soft from the hand massage, and my face tingly from the facial, I began the laborious task of avoiding an emergency visit, getting Kourtney some Iv anti reflux meds, and arranging an iron infusion at the same time since she was booked for one the next day . First call was to Children's Hospital, Dr.Courtemanche wasn't around but Dr. Davis was. He was sympathetic but had his hands tied. He is American and doesn't quite get our system. Determined not to sit in the emergency room I phoned one of the doctors I worked with. He called the pediatrician on call and she called me back; quite willing to help me out. After about two hours on the phone, and making arrangements to go to the Abbotsford Hospital, curtailing an emergency visit and arrangements for an iron infusion, Kourtney yells out, "Praise the Lord I can swallow." Although I was relieved for her I felt frustrated. I called Dr. Davis, and the pediatrician to tell them that Kourtney could swallow and both felt that Kourtney needs a dilatation. Another consult and another surgery sooner than later. I felt a wee bit overwhelmed, so Todd and I went to Ironman 2 for some mindless entertainment. He's still trying to figure out if it's a true story ;)

Last night I couldn't sleep. Sometimes I still find it overwhelming how fragile Kourtney is and how one little issue can turn a day upside down. I was also dreading the trip into Children's and was thinking that Dr. Davis wasn't too impressed that he was having to quarterback Kourtney's care. Surprisingly the day turned out well. The traffic was light, the staff were friendly, Kourtney's IV slid in easily, and Dr. Davis was his usual chatty self and offered to be Kourtney's Primary Dr. (or quarterback - american style).

We just had a nice supper at Mom and Dad K's and everyone is chilling here doing there own thing. No more choking for Kourtney! We are thinking she has been having reflux from the flax seed oil which we've added to her feed for attempting her to gain weight. Who knows, but all we know that she needs to have it looked at. We are just glad we can leave it in the capable hands of a great Dr. to arrange it all. When we know there is a team of people pulling for us it makes a big difference!

1 comment:

TS said...

So glad to hear that your day today worked out for you!! Thanks for the call last night! Kourtney you are one STRONG GIRL!! Love ya