Friday, February 9, 2018

Home!

I wanted to send a post out last night, however we didn't have wifi ( one of the few glitches in the new hospital. )All the time put into planning for this surgery worked in Kourtneys favour. We were greeted by many familiar faces and everyone was happy to see Kourtney. The surgery went smooth except at the beginning Kourtney started bleeding- enough for them to come and find me so I could sign the blood consent. For a few seconds I kind of felt we were straight out of a scene of a tv show sitting in the classy waiting room. But that only lasted a few seconds because  I knew she was in good hands. Turns out that being proactiveh with an iron infusion prior to her surgery gave her the reserve she needed so they didn't need to transfuse her.

Interestingly enough Dr C said encased in the tumour was bone fragments.  Kourtney has  been convinced thst there was bone sticking out. He said we will know for sure when the biopsy is back. He took a graft from her abdomen and said it was perfect. Because she got a nerve block she couldn't lift her hand last night which meant she had no pain. She says her hand already feels better than it did. Let's pray this confinues..

The highlight however was having friends and family visit. I was blessed to have Marijke as my personal caregiver ( no typo there- I needed her) , a former caregiver Meaghan who was on shift that day. Meaghan almost gave the recovery nurse a hearts track when she walked in and started touching Kourtney. ( when you know how to handle her she isn't quite as fragile as she sounds) After surgery  Shaelyn and caregiver Amber   and for the first time ever that I can remember extended family. Luke, Beth and Brielle made the trek out just to see Kourtney. Brielle charmed everyone and of course stole the show. Todd came this morning to drive us home.

It's done I am beyond exhausted . Perseverance pays off..
As I reflect on this experience I have become increasingly aware that Kourtney is a survivor not a victim. Although she lives with one of the most painful  diseases known to man she would never want anyone to see her like that. this is so difficult for so many people to realize. I know that on the outside my family is not the picture of perfection - we are better than that we are bulletproof.

When Todd came to pick Kourtney and I up just the sound of his voice made me so happy. I love him more than I ever have and don't ever take for granted what a great man he is. Shaelyn blows me away at the leadership roles she has taken on at her school. She isn't front and Center playing sports, in musicals but she helps the special needs kids. She may not graduate high school with honours
however she will leave graduate next year, with people skills that most adults don't have. They make proud. Thanks for your prayers we certainly felt Gods prescense yesterday.

1 comment:

JMV Healthcare Garage said...

❤️💜❤️