Monday, September 28, 2009

I HAVE BECOME....one of those people.

I would have never considered myself an animal person. I have to be honest and say that I looked down on people that talked about their pets like they were their children; used high squeaky voices when they talked to them and dressed them up in outfits. The biggest dog duty I could not wrap my head around was when dog owners would go for walks with their little plastic bags, armed and ready to pick up the warm, little, old Henry Bars produced by their adorable pet.

Now, here we are 4 months into being animal owners and I have to admit that I have become very attached to my two pets. In fact, by the end of the summer I liked the cat and dog duo more then my own children. I have even changed my theology and believe that all animals go to heaven.

Life has changed around our house. Every morning a wet-pawed puppy makes her rounds to all 3 beds in the house and wags her tail so hard that her bum wiggles. Lexi is greeted with more enthusiasm than a Saskatchewanite at a Roughrider game. The usual morning grumpiness dissipates when Lexi is nearby. How can anyone resist that cute little puppy? Waiting in the wings during this morning routine is Jennifer, trying to get some attention, but trying to be unassuming. As soon as Lexi meets Jennifer's firm gaze, it is game on for the two of them and the chasing around the house begins. This charade never gets old for the two of them. They have become the best of friends.

The other day I woke up from doing nights and I heard Kourtney's sweet voice telling Lexi to come and greet me after my slumber. I loved the change in tone in her voice (mind you after that it was game on for Kourtney and Shaelyn - not so cute and the tone....####. Exactly why I preferred the animals over my children for awhile.

The one thing that I have been avoiding has been the cellophane bag wrapped in the leash, armed and ready for that unexpected dump on the road. As an avid runner I cursed dog owners that allowed their dogs to do this on the sidewalk. I lived in denial for awhile that my dog would be capable of sidewalk carnage. This summer we took her for many walks and not once did it happen. But now that school was in progress part of the daily routine is walking Lexi to school with Shaelyn. I began thinking I was playing with fire the first week of school not having a baggie with me I really would have felt bad if "it" ended up on a shoe, stroller or on the playground somewhere. My guilt got the best of me and I broke down and bought from the dollar store a special contraption that carries the baggies and clips onto the leash. I now felt that I was being a responsible citizen and respecting all the runners in the world.

We had it for a whole week before I had to use it and boy did I have to psych myself up for it. I have done all kinds of nursing including geriatrics, changed many baby diapers but nothing could prepare me for the "first baggie scoop". I had to hold my breath, focus really hard and gave one big quick scoop and quickly tied the bag, only to find there were two more to pick up.My pratical husband chided with me and said "at least your hands will stay warm in the winter." That day I became a "real" dog owner and dog lover. You really can't say you love your pet until you actually sacrifice your sense of smell, and touch. I did it but not looking forward to the next time "it" needs to be done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...one time on a run, when my husband went to p/u the prize,the bag had a hole and ended up on his hands, a whole 3 kilometers from home and the sink!!!,we did have a spare bag by the way. We've lived to laugh about it, good story though.

Flo said...

I'm laughing out loud. Love this and love hearing that people who were never "animal people" can grow to love one of these.

I, too, have had the hole in the bag experience. I carefully check that bag before I leave the house now. Thanks for sharing this ... loved it.