Saturday, September 12, 2009

RANDOM . . . information

School started this week and surprisingly enough everyone settled into their new routines very well. Lexi and Jennifer seemed to like this new schedule and were even spotted laying side by side on the forbidden red couch. Jennifer was taking all the left over school supplies off our coffee table and Lexi was happily chewing pens pencils and erasers.

Shaelyn enjoyed her first day of school,loves her new teacher and is with her nice little group of friends. Kourtney was greeted with hugs from a variety of friends. I was able to drop her off with peace of mind that she was good hands with Tammy, her teacher's aide. She has also decided that she will only ride her wheelchair into the school, park it, and only use it during the heavy traffic times during the day. When she walked into the school the janitor yelled at her and told her to quit running in the school. What an amazing team at the school . . . that is exactly what she needs; a place where people feel comfortable around her and her sarcastic side can be unleashed.

Wednesday was the first full day of school and then Kourtney had a voice lesson right after school. I saw my child transform that day into the old Kourtney. She stood up straight at the microphone and seemed quite mesmerized by her voice teacher who is up for the challenge of getting Kourtney's voice trained.

WARNING . . . this next part is very random and really you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

This is where the random part comes in . . . and the part of my life that I know I have had to let go of because I can't keep up with trying to be someone who I am not . . . In the past I would have been highly discouraged but at the end of the day I was able to laugh almost to the point of tears.

I had worked a night shift Tuesday night and it had been extremely busy. I left my cell phone at work. I woke up around 2:00 and was pleased that I would have time for some coffee before picking up Shaelyn at school. I put the dog outside but it was raining so hard that she didn't want to do her business. Instead of taking time to walk with her outside I left her in the house. She escaped up the stairs and pooped and peed in the living room and family room and then promptly hid under the couch. In between my sips of coffee I tried to lure the dog out but every attempt failed. I managed to pull her out and she yelped like I was strangling her (the thought never even crossed my mind).

I ventured out in the pouring rain with dog in tow, Lexi wearing her harness through one of her legs, me wearing a waterproof jacket that wasn't waterproof. I was soaked and, of course, late picking Shaelyn up from her first day of school. I introduced myself to her new pregnant teacher who probably was a bit frightened by the thought when I told her I was a mat nurse. Shaelyn was the only one patiently waiting and I was gently rebuked by her as we walked home. Then we talked about her first day of school and I told her we had to hurry home because Kourtney had a voice lesson at 3pm (15 minutes away). Shaelyn wanted a snack so I told her to grab something quickly. She wanted popcorn but I told her that popcorn wasn't quick. I got home and . . . no Kourtney. I couldn't reach her on her cellphone and was worried she was trying to get a hold of me on my cellphone. I finally got a hold of her teachers aide. Kourtney had left a 1/2 hour ago, on the bus . . . I had no idea where she was. Meanwhile the the popcorn was being popped in the microwave by Shaelyn( did I not tell you not to pop the popcorn!!!!) and wet Lexi was running through the house. I was calling Kourtney's voice teacher and only got an answering machine message. Kourtney showed up at 5 minutes to 3. She jumped out of her wheelchair and an excited Lexi and Jennifer ran out to greet her. Shaelyn and I attempted to herd the animals into the house but they decided that it was playtime. I ended up chasing Lexi and grabbed her but she squirmed away and slipped onto the pavement and started yelping. Then the girls were mad at me.

Finally 3:10 we were in the van on our way to downtown Abbotsford. Do you think I could find the building?? Downtown Abbotsford is a whole 3 blocks and I could not find it. After a few loops around in the pouring rain I found it. There was a tiny parking spot to fit my van into. Parallel parking is not my gift, so the van was parked with the back end sticking out onto the street. The girls knew at that point not to say anything to me although I was totally in parking violation. We raced into the building and all of us were soaked.

So we walk in at 3:20 and introduced ourselves to Kourtney's voice teacher. He looked a little shocked at the disheveled looking group as we walked into a very trendy studio. He told us that we could all stay in the room and we sat down. I handed him the crumpled soaked registration form that promptly ripped when I handed it to him. Wow did I feel like a loser! During the voice lesson Shaelyn sneezed and farted at the same time. The only redemption during that time was Kourtney's easy smile, her solid voice and her bright eyes. He saw potential and wants to work with what she has.

Although it was torment getting there, we all walked away from the voice lesson with a sense of relief that we actually made it (no dents in the van and no parking tickets). I also have come up with a new Wednesday plan. Last year I probably would have been devastated and cried my eyes out, but I have learned that life happens and I am just thankful that my daughter was able to stand up straight and has the opportunity to train her voice and do what comes naturally to her.

4 comments:

John and Kim Fleming said...

Keep the random thoughts coming, they gave me a good laugh!

Rachel said...

Me too....it's good to laugh when you have days like that!

Anonymous said...

Janelle, you have provided us with great joy and laughter. I read the blog to Dave and we enjoy hearing about the Kujawa antics. It would make a funny play.
Have a good week.
B&D

Anonymous said...

Hey it is Shahnee
I love the blog i read everthing !!
Your dog is sooo cute :)
See u tomorrow at school Kourt!


p.s. i am work ing on my insration project it is coming along good :)