Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Countdown to 40!!

The other day one of my friend's at work, Lorraine, asked me if I wanted to go for a 10 km run. I said, "Sure." I had not run in over 4 months, but I have been doing my hot yoga 3-4 times a week. Lorraine ended up running the full 12.5 km and I stopped at about 10km and walked the rest. Not because my cardio gave out but because my legs hurt and I had to go to the bathroom - breakfast was making an entry if you know what I mean. The bathroom at 7 - 11 became my goal.

Although I was quite sore after that I was still satisfied that yoga is keeping me in half decent shape. I want to make it very clear that the kind of yoga I do does not involve the deep meditation but it involves stretching muscles and strengthening your body and learning to breath through it all. The psychologist that we see was impressed at the visible difference in my breathing and my facial expressions since I started yoga. The 90 minutes are uninterrupted; no talking, no cell phones, just time for me!

After watching the show Julie and Julia I was inspired to bring in my 40th birthday with some sort of accomplishment. There are a few things I would like to do and get started on.

The first one I want to do is a 30 day challenge. Starting February 1st I want to try and do my Yoga everyday. The days I work until 1930 will be challenging - some days I will have to double up. The reason I am so driven is because of Kourtney. She also has a goal to achieve. She will be meeting with the pain team in March and they will be reassessing her posture to see if she will need surgery. Kourtney and I will go head to head and challenge each other for the next month. I will also be giving up Coke Zero and shopping for the month also. I will try and blog every day during my thirty days.

After that I would like to run a half marathon June 26 th in Seattle with the young girls from work. I also would like to get started with on-line scrap booking (since I have my new laptop). Last, but not least, I want to perfect my bread making skills. I haven't baked for awhile but I want to make awesome homemade bread. My mom has the best homemade bread in the world and I want to bake the same as her!!

Sounds lofty??? I believe I can do it. I tell Kourtney everyday that she has to exercise although she is tired and wiped out from school. I need to challenge myself also. I cannot expect her to to do it if I am not doing it also.

Anyone want to join me on my 30 day challenge? It doesn't have to be exercise, it could be giving up chocolate or cleaning up a garage over 30 days. Join me for Kourtney's sake!!

4 comments:

Mona said...

I'm in I am starting now though, I have already challenged myself to this, but having a support group will help.
My goal is to get 30 min minimum of cardio in everyday I have cute clothes that I want to wear on vacation that don't fit, Ok they fit but UCK!!! So lets go ladies :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Janelle and Kourtney
I will join you! I need to do some excercise everyday and eat better (been trying for years!!). I have a cycle trainer now so no excuses. I will be thinking of you guys, which will give me inspiration!!
Here we go!!!
Sheila xx

Pat MacDonald said...

Hi: I heard about your challenge from Bev and I am in. I am going to walk three days a week. Stay off computer games ect, Eat properly, Lets have a great time. Kourtney keep up the good work I know you can do it. Pat MacDonald

Amy said...

I am so inspired by all of you and really want join you...just not sure what 'challenge' to choose. Since I'm pregnant...I was wondering if 'giving up exercise' for 30 days could count as mine? LOL

Amy