Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas is packed away!

Just spent the entire morning packing up Christmas 2012! When I put away decorations I take time to reflect of the events of Christmas. Although there are no signs of Christmas left except for the few stubborn pine needles that keep appearing, the memories of this one will be embedded in my memory forever! From my other posts there you know there was unrest in our home. It felt like we were shivering and nothing could stop the rigor. But once we got to Kelowna and heard the kids laughing and saw them being spoiled by their grandparents, being with family was like a warm blanket put over our family and gave us the much needed emotional rest that we craved. Our plans for one night in Kelowna turned into two as we could not pry our kids away from the bond that cousins share! We came back to Abbotsford from Kelowna on Christmas and shared a wonderful Chinese dinner with my parents as well as Todd's mom and dad. On Christmas day, my mom took charge in the kitchen and made an amazing turkey dinner! My brother and family joined us from Kelowna and when they arrived our house was instantly turned into the party house. From Sunday to Thursday there was never a dull moment, as my 75 year old dad became chief party planner extraordinaire and there was not a down moment. My mom and dad even did some dancing!

The continual partying between Christmas and New Years were traditions that I was accustomed to growing up. Over the years, the loneliness that I have felt over Christmas has been minimized by working, and being with fellow co-workers. My children knew nothing different and had become accustomed to the quiet Christmas. I am starting to think that this Christmas has left a pretty sweet taste in their mouth as to what Christmas was like for me growing up.

Meldon and his family left yesterday, but thankfully my parents are still here until January 5th, or else it would be very empty around here. However, my girls are already in mourning with the thoughts of their grandparents leaving, and the pressure of moving still weighs very heavily on us. Both of our girls are very aware of how lonely they are, and how much they miss being around their cousins. However, having my brother and family in Kelowna has been the best for all of us. A month ago we were unsure if they were going to be staying there, but it now is confirmed that they will stay there for awhile. As long as they are close, I have a feeling we will be staying put!

Kourtney has done extremely well; being busy is the best thing for her, however, she was so exhausted tonight that she said, "I just want to have a down day with Grandma Charlene and watch Anne of Green Gables." I think she deserves that. My dad, Todd, Shae and myself will go tubing tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

No comments: