Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Surgery

Almost two years ago I stepped on a piece of broken glass while walking bare foot around our pool. I went for X-rays and two different doctors tried in vain to remove it. So . . . the glass stayed put. I didn't really notice the glass until a week before our trip to Mexico in January when I felt a little lump on my heel. It became progressively more painful to the point I decided to have a local plastic surgeon give it another try. I went to the hospital yesterday morning and Janelle joined me in the operating room (she was at work and took her break to watch the operation). The freezing hurt soooooo bad as my heal was pricked about ten times! Then the cutting, poking, scraping, stretching began and carried on for a good 20 minutes. At the end of it all, a piece of scar tissue the size of a small bean was removed from my heel with the caution that he wasn't sure he got the glass. So off to Costco to get my prescription. I decided that since I had to do a fair bit of walking that I would take one of the motorized shopping carts the store provides. Desperately hoping not to see anyone I knew, I took the quiet side aisles. As I "crawled" through a main aisle I ran into our music pastor's wife. She got a good laugh out of it all and I got some shopping done, with some funny looks from other shoppers.

So now I sit and recover, taking pain medication, and antibiotics to prevent infection. I slept for 1 1/2 hour last night and felt nauseous this morning. I had to excuse myself twice during Kourtney's dressing change to "bomit". I finally went to bed for a few hours and am feeling a bit better.

I am now off to try out some new wheel chairs for Kourtney. She has had her old one since Kindergarten and is in need of a bigger, faster chair . . . so, off we go.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Todd, you're amazing! You always manage to find the lighter side to situations that often seem far from funny. Keep smiling! Praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hope that you are feeling better Todd. I hope that K gets her new chair soon. I also hope it is not to big and fast as she already tires to run me over at school!

Etty said...

I wanted to say Happy Birthday to Shaelyn but only now figured out how I can comment!! Oh me!
Todd, it is good you got that bean out of your foot. It is great that the body heals. May God's peace be with you all. Love, EL