Friday, November 6, 2009

NO WAY! WAY! YAY!!

NO WAY
For the month of October our family seemed to dodge the swine flu. Shaelyn had symptoms but she got over it rather quickly. In my own little "righteous indignation" I was hoping our family wasn't going to be hit with this unpredictable virus. We seemed to have our share last year . . . really there was "no way" that we should have this affliction upon on us. I felt that it would be best if everyone else could suffer from it this year . . . not the Kujawa's. But as everyone knows . . . (I am such a slow learner). Virusses are virusses and they generally don't chose who they will host upon.

WAY
But then on November 2st, Shaelyn had a headache. I thought there is no way she could be sick again so I sent her to school. I also had a massage booked and really wanted to go. By noon my cell phone and home phone were full of messages from the school informing me that my child needed to be picked up from school (I turned off my cell phone when I was getting the massage - how selfish). High fevers, headache, cough, sleepless night . . . here we go again. Sure glad I got that massage though.
The same day I took one look at Kourtney when she got home from school andI knew the affliction was upon her. Her classmates had been hit hard by it, so I knew she would be home for the rest of the week. Todd came home that day with a cough . . . number 3 hit. I have 3 patients now at home with me. Todd has been hit the worse but yet he keeps plunking away at kitchen stuff. Shaelyn had 4 days at home but has kicked the virus. Kourtney has been the best patient in the whole world - she does sick well - because she knows how, and despite feeling so awful has not complained at all. The other two are a bit more whiny and can't sit still. I remain healthy and strong, despite being coughed on and puked on . . . yuck.

YAY
On Friday, Kourtney and I left the house at 0630 for an iron infusion at Children's. It took 2 hours to get in. Kourtney was vile on the way in because she didn't want to be poked again and besides "it wasn't helping anyways" (last time her hemoglobin was 79). I was also beginning to wonder if this was worthwhile, especially if there was no change in her hemoglobin. But I also knew that although there was not encouraging results on "paper" the clinical picture was encouraging as far as her skin, and overall health goes. I had no preconceived notions this time about her hemoglobin as last time it was a huge disappointment that it was not higher. As it turned out though, Kourtney's IV went very smoothly, the iron infusion only took two hours and her hemoglobin is now at the highest it has been in years . . . 92. The goal is to be over 100. So I haven't been imagining things. There is now clinical evidence that Kourtney has recovered. So the monthly trips in, the IV pokes and the once a week pokes for the EPO shots are paying off. Kourtney really doesn't think so, but it is difficult for her to get past the "pokes". I don't blame her but she also doesn't realize what a blessing it is that her IV's go so smoothly and I know how I can give the EPO shots with the least amount of pain.
Last night (Friday) was a good night. Kourtney slept well and her cough seems to be looser and drier. Todd slept downstairs and feels somewhat better, and Shae is Shae ( for those who know this happy inquisitive little child) on this dreary Saturday morning. I am going to go exercise and leave my family to ward off this virus.

1 comment:

Todd, Janis, Paige said...

Is Kourtney able to use Emla on her skin? Just curious. Glad things are going well, and you all seem to be beating the virus, which is good news. We've all received our vaccination, and so far Paige has only suffered a common cold. Keeping my fingers crossed!