Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tough News, and Tough Love

Yesterday we had a meeting with the Chronic Pain Team at BCCH. I really felt we needed to stay in touch with this team of doctors, nurses, psychologists, and physios that manage Kourtney's pain. We have managed to conquer many issues this year but for those who have seen Kourtney walk it is evident there have been lingering problems from such a traumatic year.

Kourtney is not using her wheel chair at school which has been a huge milestone, but over the last year we have taken Kourtney to physio many times and she has been given exercises to do. Kourtney will find every excuse not to do them and when she does do her exercises she usually is so worked up her body won't relax. It has been a frustrating endeavour and once again another concern I have had to take a step back on.

Kourtney walked into the meeting with the team and I knew that they were assessing her as she walked in. First of all I think Kourtney should have been celebrated that she was walking because last year all of our meetings Kourtney was in wheelchair. The first thing out of the Dr's mouth was, "I am not happy with her posture." Neither am I, but I want to tell you about the success we have had with her. For those who work Maternity with me, you can appreciate that this Dr. is an anaesthetist - they seem to be a very peculiar breed of doctors. They went on to tell us that they want Kourtney to do intense physio until March and after that if there are not better results, surgery should be considered. That isn't what we both wanted to hear and it came as a shocker for the two of us.

Kourtney held her composure through the very painful meeting, but as soon she got off the elevator she started crying. We had another appointment booked with Dr. Prendiville (dermatologist) but she ran past the office and went outside. We sat in the fresh air and talked about the meeting - there were a few choice words for the doctor and I didn't reprimand her because I had the same words in my head. I went and chatted with our wonderful dermatology nurse and the two of us decided we should cancel the appointment (6 people ahead of us and no pressing issues meant we weren't staying).

Kourtney and I did shopping therapy at IKEA, and we talked over a cinnamon bun. She perked up after that and the sparkle continued to be there. Although the "delivery" of the news was harsh I believe that it will make Kourtney more determined to keep exercising. If we can avoid surgery . . . that would be so wonderful. We have come sooooo far, yet it seems like we are at the bottom of the mountain again and gearing up for the big climb . . . the plan is for weekly trips into BCCH for intense physio.

3 comments:

Ang said...

I'm sorry to hear that the Dr. couldn't be more encouraging but Kourtney is blessed that you could soften the blow. Hopefully the harsh reality will help her to do what's necessary even outside of the physio's office.
A very good reminder for ME - that I need to do what I know that I need to do before I here bad news.

Coco said...

Kourtney, you can do it girl! I believe in YOU! You are my hero afterall. :) I will pray for you all as you venture out for physio and get committed to the exercise program laid out for you.

Michelle said...

Well, Kourtney, for lack of better words - that really sucks! BUT I agree with "Coco"- you are an amazing girl and have so much inner strength. Use that frustration for the good and put it all into your physio. We'll be praying for you and cheering you on!!