Friday, September 9, 2011

A Sleeping Mama Bear Just Woke Up.

So have to say the start to school has been shakey. This time though it has nothing to do with Kourtney though. She actually is more then well taken care of at school, thanks to Desiree, Jenny and her new grade 12 guardian angel Christa! Her transition to highschool has been very easy, and the best part I haven't even stepped into the school - yet!

Before I get into the the situation at hand I need to preface this with how for so many years I spent days at the beginning of the school year, training teacher's aides, educating staff and even figuring out where I would pick Kourtney up from at school. I spent countless hours in meetings with support staff,  and principals. Shaelyn being 4 years behind Kourtney at school attended this meetings along with me and learned how to entertain herself for many hours at a time.

When Shaelyn started to school I didn't have enough energy to volunteer in the class and welcomed the alone time at home, organziaing care for Kourtney, ordering supplies and countless hours on the phone. Having Shaelyn in school has been a breeze, she is a great kid, doesn't get herself involved in the drama and even earned the citzenship award which speaks to her character. Every year she has had amazing teachers and has exceptionally well considering the lack of time I have invested into her. I have never ever really had to fight for her, however this changed yesterday and let me tell you the Sleeping MAMA Bear has woken up.

OF her 6 years of school I have never requested a teacher, or friends to be with her in the class. We have always trusted the staff at school to make wise decisions, well her grade 5 years has changed all this and I am very livid with her class placement. It is very apparent that decisions were made for the best interest of every other child in Grade 5 except my child.

I won't go into detail, because I do not want to be disparaging to the children in the class, because it is not their fault that these decisions were made. What I will say is that the principal probably has no idea that Shaelyn has a mother that knows how to get exactly what her child needs. However, going to the wall for Shaelyn will mean big changes for her also especially if our plee falls on deaf ears.
I have spoken with the principal but she will not change the class placement unless we have a "compelling enough reason" - Todd and I wrote a letter but have not heard a response. We feel Shaelyn's physical and emotional safety is a huge issue at this point so we are keeping her home until this matter is resolved. She will be going to Todd's school tomorrow as there is room at his school and has picked out a lovely teacher for her. (this is our plan B). We are still waiting to hear from the assistant superintendent to make sure we have exhausted all our options before we go ahead and change her to a different school and a different district. Once again we covet your prayers for our family.

No comments: