Wednesday, July 13, 2011

DAY 5!

So Tuesday we made a trip into Children's Hospital to get the "thing" out of her mouth and then get Kourtney fitted for her braces. We decided to make a family day out of it and head to Stanley Park. My cousin Leanne and Shae joined us.

We did an early morning dressing change that didn't go so well, and was I ever in a mood. We got a late start for our 1030 appointment only to realize that Todd forgot all the dressing supplies and pain medication. We had not hit the highway yet so we turned around to get this very important stuff. 

My cousin Leanne helped keep things light on the way in and to our surprise it took only 1 hour to get in (that never ever happens that time of day). On the way Todd told me I needed to page one of the doctors from the pain team because she said she wanted to stop by and see Kourtney. I told Todd and my cousin, "I am not sure why she wants me to do this because she is going to tell me how busy she was - it happens all the time." Sure enough paged her and I got, "I am really busy." My response was, "Yep I know I am just doing what you asked." After that, holding back the tears I told Dr. Courtemanche that I don't quite "get her".  He gave me the nice pat answer that I expected and then went to the task at hand.

So the "thing" in Kourt's mouth didn't pop out like it was supposed to so after many tools and and a few screams on Kourtney's part it did pop out successfuly. Keep in mind that what looks like a success to the Doctor's doesn't look great at all to the untrained eye. Her mouth looks very sore, her face is swollen and there are scabs and the corners of the mouth. It rips my heart out when I see my child so inflicted with this disease but also helps to know that we have such an encouraging kind Doctor that always makes us feel good when we leave that place. Then, in walks Dr. Lauder (the pain doctor) I guess the guilt was enough for her to make some time for Kourtney . The long and short of the conversation was that she was going to get an iron infusion on Thursday and Dr. Lauder agreed in her non-committal way to put Kourtney's IV in. A long trip into Children's again, but I think worth it to allow her to heal.

Off to Stanley park for Fish and Chips! It was a cloudy day, which just seemed to make my mood even more gray.

Then we maneuvered through the streets of Vancouver to get to Dr. Loo's office. They were all so happy when Kourtney came because the molds for her mouth worked so well! Although she will need more molds, ( in a year or so) Dr. Loo is trying to get a machine at Children' that will take a 3-D scan of the teeth instead of the usual impressions. She will be using Kourtney as the poster child for getting a machine like this at the hospital. Once again we were thankful for these amazing doctors in Vancouver that have such a vested interest in Kourtney.

 It was a long tiring day. Kourtney has been complaining of her back hurting (blister sore). It is in really rough shape, so we have started her on another antibiotic. I honestly think that getting an iron infusion will help so much. Her tissues need the necessary oxygen and she will be able to fight infection better (we are way overdue for an iron infusion)!

I am supposed to leave with Shae on Monday for a skipping tournament in Calgary. I am a bit nervous leaving Todd and Kourtney by themselves but I also know I need some time away from Kourtney. It may be the best thing for me to do. She has been great through all of this and has taken everything in stride. I just find it overwhelming to keep it all together and keep myself together. The break for 3 days will be nice. We will all end in Saskatchewan together. I have a lot of packing to do which is overwhelming in itself!

Until next time!

No comments: