Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Sun Will Come Out...tomorrow.

Last night we sat down and had a little family meeting. Todd and I were absolutely wrecked from the day's events, but Kourtney had caught her second wind. She stated that it would be a good break for all of us to go to Saskatchewan and chatted like nothing was going on. It reassured us that she wasn't traumatized by the week's events and was pretty ready to move on. However, I felt that she needed to understand that although the surgery was over there were a few things that we needed to get straight.

WE  had a heart to heart chat with her about the importance of wearing her mouth splint althoughit is so uncomfortable for her. WE had been comforted by Dr. C stating that the splint could be adjusted so it would be a bit more comfotable. But Kourtney had to understand that this was part of her healing and although it seemed unfair she had to try to comply. With crocidile tears streaming down her face we put the splint in her mouth. I adjusted it and made her clench down with her top teeth and suddenly she said, "Oh it doesn't feel that bad."

She wore the splint at night and, to our complete surprise, she had a great sleep and tolerated the splint for 10 hours! What a huge difference a great night of sleep makes for all us. We woke up to an overcast day. To tell you the truth I was so thankful for the dreary weather because I had so much to get caught up on. I paid bills, submitted receipts and rearranged furniture. (I tell you, changing furniture around is way more effective than antidepressants.) I have to say it was the first time in a long time that I wasn't paralyzed by fear. We all felt lighter today in spite of this awful July weather.

My cousin Leanne and I went to hot yoga; it felt so awesome to go back and stretch my sore muscles and sweat my sorrows out. My cousin Leanne is a nice calming influence in my life, so it was nice to go "practice with her." I felt so refreshed.

The girls went out on a field trip with our caregiver Jeff.  Take a look at the video.

WARNING DON"T LET YOUR CAREGIVER EVER TRY THIS ON YOUR CHILDREN AT HOME - FOR TRAINED PROFESSIONALS ONLY.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday we cried, today we laughed. Maybe we need to take Jeff's approach and try the unconventional. Awesome driving Kourtney, great bravery Shaelyn and thanks to Jeff's creativity.
GMB

Flo said...

I concur. Just caught up on the last three posts and was in tears reading your Thursday post. You just wish you could take your child's pain away.

OK, your caregiver rocks. That was the best - the very best thing to watch.

Hugs Janelle and continued prayers. We go back to Dr. Loo in September for three visits and will spend a couple of nights in Vancouver to make it all work so, maybe it will coincide with some of your app'ts and we can catch up.

Kourtney, we marvel at your strength - bless you big time!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kourtney, Way to go Kourtney!!! You made my day for me. That was awesome to see you driving the digger. I hope you have a licence for it! Just kidding. Good on Shaelyn too . If I ever get the chance I want a ride in it too. Keep looking up!!!!

May H.