Monday, December 10, 2012

Todd and Kourtney

Todd came home last night from the ER with pain medication for kidney stones. He will have a CT scan done this week in order to see where the stone is . He also has a throat and ear infection....he is in rough shape. Todd has not slept through the night for months now, even though I stayed with Kourtney most nights at the hospital, Todd can not shut off his mind.
So last night I was on call for Kourtney, and finally Todd got a really good sleep. Kourtney slept well which means I did as well. We have meds to give at 2 and she is usually up by 5 to go to the bathroom as we have now switched her to night feeds again I fall back to sleep at 2 but at 5 I am wide awake, it makes me look forward to my afternoon nap.
I talked to Dr Cautermanche on Friday. He wants the PICC line out.....the sooner the better. I asked him about bloodwork, he felt it wasn't necessary for another 6 weeks. I am thinking a hemoglobin should be done, but sometimes I would rather go by symptoms.
Kourtney had one of her better days yesterday. She got sleepy around 9 and slept solid until 5. She continues to spike low grade fevers, with the fevers come intense pain, that cripples her. We have learned that tylenol seems to help more then the pain medication. Yesterday, we either outsmarted them or the fevers are starting to get better.
The dressing changes are easier to get through because Kourtney's pain relief is so much better. They still remain traumatizing for Todd and I, as we both know what kind of process it will take to get her skin into half decent shape. If somebody were to see them......yep you would be traumatized.
We still covet your prayers, just because we are home does not necessarily mean that Kourtney is better. She only gets off the couch to go to the bathroom or get ready for bed at night. I feel that Kourtney's road to recovery will have to be motivated by Kourtney, if I ask her to do something, she resists  . I am willing to help her out with whatever she needs but I will take cues when she is ready. I have let her know that I am happy to support her but I can't make her do anything she doesn't want to  do. It may sound rather calloused of me to say this, but I have tried to do this before, and it just doesn't work. When Kourtney is ready, she will tell me. The other day.......Kourtney asked me wash her hair.......that was a small step in the right direction.

No comments: