Thursday, February 26, 2009

Kourtney's Speech


Today I presented my speech to my class. Here it is.

Have you ever heard the statement " Everyone has a twin"?
Chairperson, honorable judges, ladies and gentlemen and fellow students I am a lucky person because I have met my twin. The funny thing about my twin is she is 7 years older than me and she lives in Florida.

My twin's name is Megan. I first saw her in Minneapolis last summer where we both were going to attend a skin disorder camp. When I first saw her I started sweating and it wasn't because of the Minneapolis heat, but because I saw a mirror reflection of me.

We became instant friends as we sat beside each other on the 3 hour bus ride to the camp. During this time we discovered our similarities were more than blonde hair and hazel eyes. We have the same tiny feet, our Moms are both nurses and we have the same way of eating. If a scientist were to look at us under a microscope they would say we have the same genes. I'm not talking about jeans that you wear, but genes that give us the same skin disorder called EB. I knew I really liked her when she pulled out her iphone and called her mom. She told her mom that she just met her, "Mini Me".


We also realized we had similar interests. We both have our own swimming pools, we like the spinning rides at Disneyland, we are computer whizzes and we like the T.V show, Ellen which we watch each afternoon at 4. Although we have many similarities there are a few things that are different. I love to sing and she doesn't. Megan loves politics and they do not interest me at all. For the most part, however, we are very similar.

Megan is very inspirational to me because she does not let her disease stop her from doing anything. During the camp we were going horseback riding. I did not want to, but, with Megan's encouragement, I did it! She also encouraged me to get out of my wheelchair and dance. She was the one who signed me up to sing a solo at the talent show, which I really enjoyed.

Having found my twin has been a life changing experience for me. Megan is a wonderful inspiration, fun, caring, good friend and is always there to give me good advice. Though we live miles and miles apart I know that Megan is only an email away.

May you be as fortunate as me too and meet your twin soon! Thank You

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She also did a great job presenting it in front of her class. Kourtney you are a true speaker! Way to go! Be proud of your self you did GREAT! Your #1 Fan

Michelle said...

What a great topic!(says the teacher in me!) I loved how you presented the information - it would have been a treat to hear as it was such a pleasure to read!

Megan Barron said...

ahhhhh!!! I am so proud of you, girlfriend!!! That's a great pic, btw

Anonymous said...

WOW! that is one of the most entertaining speeches I have ever herd! I hope that I meet my twin, it sounds like a lot of fun! :)

Riley-Ann said...

wow that's amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is so cool Kourtney. I hope the speech went well. You are a good writer. When I was in grade 6 I think I did my speech about spit or something. Needlessto say your speech was definitely better than mine.

God Bless

Chris Ross