Monday, November 26, 2012

Quick Update

I knew Kourtney wasn't well on Sunday when even Uncle Wonderful couldn't move her off the couch to go to the mall and play the "wheelchair game" they have come to enjoy. She did have a good day and was restless at night.  So. . . I thought maybe her hemoglobin had come up. I ventured to take her for a walk in her wheelchair.

We got about a half a block when she turned pasty white and became nauseous.  Meldon and I took her back to the house, where it took her a while to recover, and she started having major pain.  I deliberated all day what I should do.  My dear friend Angela came over and discussed with Kourtney what would make her feel better.  Kourtney said, "I want to go to the hospital."

Due to a bed crunch at children's hospital, Dr. Courtemanche encouraged us to have her assessed at Abbotsford Hospital. Thanks to some wonderful people I work with, who I can truely say are my friends, we got directly admitted and were assessed quickly by a paediatrician. After they drew some blood work, my suspicions were right, her hemoglobin was OK, however now her albumin is scary low.  What does this mean now???  We are really not sure.  Kourtney will be transferred to Children's after a team meeting where they will come up with the most reasonable options.

It is a relief having her in Abbotsford, especially knowing her pain is so well controlled with the morphine. The dressing change was totally and completely peaceful.

She is in the right place.  I am really happy that I can be in our local hospital for now. 

No comments: