Friday, November 30, 2012

Update

Abbotsford Hospital doesn't have wifi, my 3g doesn't work the greatest as well, so that is why blog posts aren't coming daily. Keep checking, we are attempting to stay ontop of it.

Yesterday morning I woke up and realized that Kourtney and I both had slept for 6 hours without any interruption. I was so relieved until I found Kourtney in a pool of her feed, it had leaked out onto the bed, and of course this meant dressing change. It was one of the better dressing changes because Kourtney was so medicated that I was able to really clean her up well. She sat in the shower for at least an hour, all the dressings slid of easily, and her skin wasn't looking too bad. I thought Kourtney was starting to turn a corner......
But then Kourtney started having incredible pain in her leg and spiked a fever. The fever went down instantly with Tylenol, however the pain was a bit more difficult to stay ontop of. She was started on Iv antibiotics and given Albumin( this is what was so low when she was admitted) to see if this may help more with the wound pain she is having. Lack of Albumin causes swelling in the tissues.

During the late afternoon she perked up nicely, as was her usual happy self, with a will to push through all this. She knows that the only way through this is stay well emotionally and the best way for her is the continued visits from friends and family-that seems to fill her love tank.
I came home for a sleep last night and Todd stayed with her. It was nice to sleep in my own bed, and wake up to Lexi calling for me at 0600.
I have spoken with most of the Kourtney's doctors from Children's. They all feel Kourtney is getting the best care in Abbotsford, and at this point there would be not much more they would be doing for her their then what they are doing locally. We actually think we are getting better care, although it is very difficult not to be under the watchful eye of Dr Davis and Dr Cautermanche. They both have poured a lot of time into Kourtney and know her well.

At this point what we know.....is Kourtney is stable, she is showing signs of improvement however the road to recovery  for her is going to long and slow. I am so happy her pain is under control and we are able to change her feeds to see if they are absorbed better.

Shaelyn is doing a  better. My mom has always had a way of making us "talk". That's why I became a coffee drinker at the tender age of 10, she would pour me a cup and make me tell her about my day..She was able to get Shae talking about the issues( but Shae isnt' drinking coffee yet). She is happy and lighter, more worried about her Grade 6 immunizations then anything else right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks you for the updates Janelle. I'm praying for you and your family. Kourtnay is truly an inspiration (I just watched her singing videos-she is amazing!) Love you! Jamie Weimer

Flo said...

So thankful that you can be close to home and that the care is exactly what you need right now. Praying for continued sleep and rest and painfree days for Kourtney. What a brave young lady she is!!