Sunday, November 23, 2008

TO TREAT OR TEATREAT

Last night was a sleepless night for me. The little blue pill that I take to help me sleep also makes me feel groggy the next day. So I did not want to take the little blue pill last night. I laid awake with a knot in my stomach praying that we would feel peace during this storm. Kourtney slept but was restless in her sleep. I finally woke Todd up at 0530 and cried my eyes out. He was supposed to play at church this morning but I needed him home with me for the dressing change. I also paged Kourtney's Dr to see if he could access the swab results from Wednesday. He was at home but thanks to technology he could get the results at home. Much to my dismay, the MRSA was at a +3 on Kourtney's skin. (the results are light growth-plus sizes). This means it is infecting the skin again. So, now we have to make a very difficult decision......we either either have to put Kourtney on stronger antibiotics or start doing dressings every day and treating her skin with the tea tree and the honey dressings (what we are doing now but every day) each option one will lessen the infection but will not take them away. Antibiotics would expedite the healing but would cause further resistance. The more natural passive way will require many dressing supplies and a whole lot more time and patience in the healing process. Big decision, the one thing I can say is Kourtney's pain has lessened in the last week once the dressings are on. This means the honey is working at decreasing the inflammation.
So.....the plan for the week is to go to Children's for a dressing change so the Plastic Surgeon can take a look, swab the areas that were swabbed last week and since have been treated with honey and see if there is a change. Pray for patience and peace that passes all understanding......that is what we need. If we did not believe in a sovereign God I know I could not face the day, but because God's ways are His ways I face each new day with courage.

Kourtney is so tired of all of this also.. Todd and I did the dressing change and then took Kourtney to church at her request.She stayed awake and even wanted to go our for lunch. She is very tired now but hasn't had her usual sleep. We are now on disc 2 of Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. Wow!!

Thanks to all for your interest and prayers for our family. We know that when you read this blog you are interested and concerned for our family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you all so very much. If I can do more for you please let me know! I pray that you have a great sleep and that things start to get better ASAP.

montessori_lori said...

Hi, Janelle! I am so glad you are writing about your experiences here..it really helps to know how to pray for you.

I'm sorry things are going this way right now, it sounds very tough. I hope there is good news soon.

My dad is going up there for grandma's 100th birthday. We'll miss him for our Thanksgiving celebration but I'm glad he can see G & G one more time.

Love,
Lori

Todd, Janis, Paige said...

Janelle: Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you. Things are calm right now for Paige and I, and I know how much support means during these tough times!

Can Kourtney go swimming in a public pool? I'm thinking not, but just thought I'd ask. I don't know if she'd be willing, but if you need someone to hang out at the house so you can go out for a bit, we're willing and able!