Friday, November 28, 2008

Apologies....

Before I left for Children's today I got a call from the anathetist, she was overly apologetic for Tuesday, she agreed to meet today with Dr Cautermanche about the plan for Kourtney, I went into Children's and was received warmly by the receptionists at Dr Cautermanche's office. Dr Cautermanche was extremely apologetic and actually thought there was a bath area in the Medical Day Unit. He said that I was allowed to have a meltdown and he could understand why. (amazing what a few days and reflection does). I told them that I am always told that I need to be Kourtney's mom and not her nurse, I told them that on Tuesday I was mom and I turned into mama bear. I guess I really am not as detatched as the professionals think.

So the plan is...for Kourtney to have a bath at Children's every two weeks: for the following reasons, 1. so that they can monitor the healing.2. so the staff can learn how to do Kourtney's dressing changes and if she is ever admited again there will be some staff that are able to help out with the dressing changes. The other issue we discussed is having a no resident policy in place, unfortunately, easier said than done. So the next time Kourtney is admitted, she will be admitted under Dr Cautermanche and then Dr Prendiville (our dermatologist) will consulted for the orders. ( Dr Prendiville cannot write orders because she is not a pediatrician). Before we were admitted under a pediatrician, the pediatricians all have residents that consult with them, and that just proves to be a headache especially in dealing with a complex child like Kourtney.

Now we hsve that figured out our goal is to keep Kourtney out of the hospital. Both Doctors feel that the rules that exist for a child with MRSA (gown gloves mask) are inhumane,and feel Kourtney deserves better treatment than this. They also want to stay ontop of her pain and also get physio for her and eventually some more plastic sugergy to release some contractures. So...always a journey.

Today Kourtney went to school for the afternoon and then to my inlaws for supper....she was tired out by 730 but she was a bit more happier today. Her skin is slowly starting to make a comeback and I received more medihoney dressings today and showed Dr Cautermanche pictures, he was very impressed with the healing. Kourtney took a look at the pictures also and was very happy with the results. It encouraged her that she was healing and there is hope for her not to live in so much pain.

I am going to go watch 24 with my husband. Toodles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This proves that you are doing the right things! Dont' stop being the GREAT MOM that you are. So happy that Kourtney was able to get out again on Friday. I think that she is right, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer. Janelle I hope that you are able to ge to your party this weekend. Have a great weekend Kujawas and see you on Tuesday!!

Coco said...

Amen Sister!!!! Janelle, you are doing all you can for your sweet girl, and I am so happy to hear that the Drs understand this and are doing what they can to help. It was so nice to see you, even just for a brief moment, at church last night. We need some girlie time very soon!

Big hugs to you!
Corina